Parvasi Immigration


Home – Study – Work While Study


Do you want to work while you study in Canada? Do you have a spouse or common-law partner who would like to work during your time here? Both of you can work while you study in Canada. Working in Canada can help you develop business contacts and gain practical experience for the future. It can even help you immigrate to Canada after you graduate.
There are many ways to work in Canada while you complete your education:

  • On-campus work
  • Off-campus work
  • Co-op placements
  • Internships

Who Can You Work For On Campus?

“On campus” refers to all the buildings on your university or college campus.
If your school has more than one campus, you may only be allowed to work at the campus where you attend classes. Check with the school’s administration.

If you are working as a teaching or research assistant and your work relates to a research grant, you may be able to work at a library, hospital or research centre that is part of the college or university—even if they are not on the campus.

Working Off-Campus

Foreign students may qualify to work off-campus without a work permit. This will allow them to:

  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.In order to be eligible to work off campus, international students must:
  • Hold a valid Study Permit
  • Be studying at a designated learning institution of post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level
  • Remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.